Thursday, June 30, 2005

Standing in line

There I am at 7:30 this am. Waiting for the doors to open at 8:00. No, not for the grand opening of some posh store, a garage sale, a movie or a restaurant. The drivers license facility.

Tags for my trailer expire tomorrow.

I remembered at 7:00am. It takes about 20 minutes to get there. You can use your imagination as to how I look. I did take time to brush my teeth and gargle. Told Adam I could skip that, breath on anyone already there, and I would be first in line. He raised his eyebrows at me, shook his head yes and muttered that I'd be stepping over dead bodies.

So, there I am. The sky is getting dark in the north and thunder is rumbling. Some person commented that we may be getting wet. I was hopeful. We are so dry - I don't care if it ruins my morning hair if it means moisture for the earth. I was also eavesdropping. Wasn't that hard as the lady way behind me was talking loud enough for all to hear. She was complaining that her husband had not taken the same days off as she had and that their teenage son would be home alone. Never said why this was a bad thing. She did tell that she informed him he would behave, he would not mess up anything and if he did - she'd wallop him so hard he couldn't see straight. She was dead serious.

I started thinking. Have I ever said that to my sons? The famous, "Do you want me to spank you?" (they always said, "no".) question, yes. The "Your grounded for a month", which once one actually was. But never have I said the wallop or beat you black and blue. I wondered if her way of communicating had anything to do with his problems. I know that there are many, many, times I have screwed up as a mom (and I still do). The Lord has kept control and I am blessed with two pretty awesome sons. We went through a time with Adam being disrespectful and mouthy. That was it though. No drinking, drugs, etc. When they said they were doing something, I never had to worry about the other stuff. When they had friends over to camp out, play paint ball, target shoot, etc., never had to be concerned about anything being snuck in. The friends they have are just as awesome and have become like sons too. Right now, Adam is in limbo as to what he wants to do with his life. His two best friends are starting off in a very successful beginning of a career and I know this is hard on him. The pressure of not knowing what he wants to do. Nichalas seems to have his plan on course. I don't know if it will pan out, but he is trying to establish goals and ideas.

While growing up, I was hardly ever home. I am thankful that Adam is able to be at home while trying to figure this all out. That he isn't lost, out in the world. I think back when I was Nichalas' age - 17. I was on my way to Chicago already. That was way too much, way too soon. I am thankful that God has blessed me in that the boys like to be home.

Back in line.

I love to watch people.

As we all are politely standing in line, I wondered how they would react if someone acted like they were a movie star or royalty and just decided to walk right up and place themselves in the front of the line. Ever feel like doing something to see what reaction you would get? Would they let you stay? Would the lady in back wallop you?

Have you ever thought about how God uses the same ingredients and we all come out so different? Some people may favor someone else - but God has a different pattern for each of us. How we stand, we walk, talk, act, think - all different. All completely something of our own. Isn't that mind blowing? Think about how many people He has created over time, all out of the same stuff.

So, they opened the doors, I got my tags and returned to our home.

Guess what - as I got into the house it started to rain, which lasted all of about 20 minutes.

4 comments:

Valerie Dykstra said...

I have a line that I use with Christopher that humors us all. I've never been comfortable using it on the girls, but Christopher takes it in stride so I dish it out when I want. The line is: "Boy, I brought you into this world and I can take you out."

Your boys sound wonderfully well adjusted. I know you thank God for that.

ret said...

One of mom's favorite things to do was to just sit and watch people. We are some different ducks we are. Self included. This morning, when it looked like it was going to rain, I started praying right out loud for the heavens to open up. As soon as they did, I lifted my hands up and walked around the house like a crazy fool. It was a nice rain but we could sure use some more...btw...it would have been funny if you got up to the counter and they needed you to update your picture :)

Anonymous said...

so I am finishing up some last hings at work.. around 4:58 pm and I decide to read your blog.....
Stickers????? oh my gosh!!! the boat trailer and the truck are due... in 2 minuites..thanks for the reminder Deb.. I will let you know who else forgot theirs today when I get home!!!!!!!!!!

Erin said...

I am amzed at the relationship that you have with your son. (I remember you writing about it on his birthday.) I hope that I can do the same with mine...when they come along, that is. :)