Friday, July 29, 2005

Kelley John Walker

It was about four years ago I first got to know this young man. It was through wrestling. A good looking kid, red hair, beautiful eyes and a grin that made you forget why you were exasperated at him. A kid with so much potential. A kid with a heart that was lost and lead him down the wrong paths at times. This was a kid who helped my Nichalas with his wrestling techniques. This was a kid who answered my many questions about the sport. This was a kid who made it into the championship, but didn't perform topnotch because of some lifestyle choices that robbed him of his physical performance. This was a kid that my heart went out to, he was one of the "underdogs" that I could see had so much going for him, if he would only grab hold of that brass ring and not let go. A kid that had so many in his corner. A kid that I grew to love. A kid that my heart would cry when he won, achieved so much, or was injured or lost a match, when he was frustrated or angry. This was also a kid that became a friend.

Kelley graduated this past May. He was looking forward to tomorrows.

"Kelley John Walker and his passenger, Evan Scott Laws, were pronounced dead at the scene about 10:30 a.m. Thursday."

I cry as I think about Kelley. I cry as I remember him raising his arms above his head and stretching them as he tried to get more air into his lungs during a match. I cry as I think about his last moments on Wednesday night, "the 1985 Buick was southbound when it went off the right side of the road, struck a guardrail, became airborne and struck a tree. The car came to rest on its top in Durgen's Creek. Where the car landed is not readily visible from the road." I cry as I think about some of his choices and pray that he came to know our Lord.

I cry as I think about his dad, John, "had been driving along US 61 hunting for the vehicle when he spotted it in the creek bed Thursday morning."

I cry as I remember how he was with his little brother who so looked up to him, how he was with my Nichalas.

I cry as I realize again how quickly life can be gone. How close to home this death is.



and I cry as I remember his grin.

6 comments:

ret said...

I heard this on the radio last night and recognize the names. I thought "if only..." a few times and thanked God I have never had to bear such grief. May God use you in some way to offer his family comfort.

Valerie Dykstra said...

I'm very sorry.

Erin said...

prayers...

Anonymous said...

I never really got to "know" kelley but just looking at him showed me what potential he had and how far he could go in life if he set his mind to it. But it was once said that god works on mysterious ways and for some reason he needed kelley. But as i watched kelley wrestle more and more I noticed how he became stronger physcially and emotionally. I knew that he would suceed in wrestling and in life if he were to just stay away from the bad influences that us teenagers have to face during these seven long teen years. So all that I have left to say is I know that god is with his family and his close friends and I just pray for each and evryone of them.
-Keith G.

Unknown said...

I can't imagine moments like those. Thanks for your compassion, God's going to use you to help others and encourage them through. Prayers will come from this direction as well

mindi11 said...

missing you...let us know what's going on with you these days :)