Tuesday, December 18, 2012

"With both hands" - 12/18/12 - Hebrews 4:14-7:28

"We who have run for our very lives to God have every reason to grab the promised hope with both hands and never let go. It’s an unbreakable spiritual lifeline, reaching past all appearances right to the very presence of God where Jesus, running on ahead of us, has taken up his permanent post as high priest for us, in the order of Melchizedek."   (6:18-20)

"Never let go".  Yet, how many of us end up doing so?  Or hang on with one hand while holding onto the world with the other?  How often do we decide to put our own mix into God's plan and totally mess it up?  How often do we chose to hold on to something that is "breakable" rather than the "unbreakable" He provides?  How often do we serve self rather than Him? 

Each and every time I decide to do things "my" way rather than His.

And then there I am again, "running for my very life to God".   How thankful I am that my Daddy knows me, the times my choices will become consequences that create storms.  How blessed I am that my Savior has "run on ahead of me" to be my "unbreakable spiritual lifeline".  How His grace and mercy rain down upon me, turning the icy, cold storms of life into a gentle, warm spring rain.  A rain that I can stand in, my face uplifted, my dry, parched soul drinking in His nourishment. The Holy Spirit living within me helping me to hang on tightly. What comfort there is in knowing that even though I do "let go with both hands", He knows that in my heart of hearts I so desire to please Him, love Him - to not let go. 

Yet I do.

Why?  Bottom line is that I have made the choice to serve self.  I have decided that I am more important than Him.  That I know what is best.  That the temptations of the world are what I want rather than Him. 

And that is another reason I am so thankful for His Word.  It is His plan that He has given me for the storms of life.  For the times I serve me rather than Him.  It is my road map to getting back into "holding onto my lifeline with both hands".   It is my own personal love letter from Him that ensures no matter what, He will never - never - stop loving me.  He will never - never - yank away His lifeline.  It isn't my Daddy prying away my hands on that lifeline.

It's me letting go. 

No comments: