Tuesday, October 09, 2012

"Mommy dearest" - 10/09/12 - Matthew 14:1-36, Mark 6:14-56, Luke 9:7-17, John 6:1-21

"Already coached by her mother, she was ready: “Give me, served up on a platter, the head of John the Baptizer.”(Matthew 14:8)

 
Whenever I read this scripture, I find myself wondering what kind of life Herodias’s daughter ended up having.  Did she have nightmares?  Was her heart so hardened by that time, that what she did catapulted her into an even more sin filled life?  Or did God touch her heart and break the cycle her mom began? 

Society has taken away the importance of the family unit over the past generations.  I know that all of us are different and there are some women who feel it is more important to have a career outside of the home.  In our case, I was too selfish.  I didn't want to arrive at a door to pick up my sons and hear of their "first" from someone I had chosen to take care of them.  We made it our priority for me to stay home and sacrifices were made.  There were many years that we barely made it, pulling in a $13,000 for our annual income.  I was able to supplement Curt's income by running a daycare and when the boys were both in school I began cleaning houses and mowing yards as well.  Anything to be able to be a stay-at-home mom.Thankfully, Curt felt as strongly as I did about this.  He too sacrificed. 

Looking back it makes me cry of the many screw ups I did as a mommy.  I mean that literally.  It breaks my heart knowing that I wasn't the best mommy I could have been because I was too focused on me and not God.  How very thankful I am that God is so much bigger than my mistakes!  I am so thankful too, that the main thing I knew and made the most important priority, was to teach the boys about God and His Word.  From the moment He gave me Adam, my heart was changed.  I knew to my inner most being that I must introduce them to Him.  To know Him intimately.  And looking back, I know this was all God, because I didn't know Him intimately then.  He drew me into His arms and heart through our sons.  And He also drew Curt in. 

I go back to thinking about Herodias and what kind of mom she was.  Training her daughter to dance seductively - was that all?  Was she also willing to give over her daughter's body if needed?  Probably.  Herodias was all about herself.  She saw her daughter as a tool for getting what she wanted.  She had no thought or concern about her daughter's well being.  I think about so many mothers out there today that are the same.  In our world there are so many children being used in the sex trade.  Some women choose to have children on purpose to be used as money tickets from the government, drugs, a tool to "keep a man" or to carry out their sinful ideas. Molding their children to carry on the sinful cycle. 

So far removed from how God intended children to be treated. 

I often pray for mothers to become "mommies".  I so feel that a healthy family unit is part of the progress needed to help make our society healthy again.  Introducing children to an intimate relationship with God.  The time around the supper table with each other, talking, listening and sharing each other- without the distractions of the world - aka phones, TV, books, computers,etc.   Making the home a safe haven from the world.  A building tool for a healthy foundation.  To give God the glory in any situation they are in and make Him the center of their world.  It scares me knowing there are many "Herodias's" training up children in this world - until I remember my Father is in control.  That He is bigger than anything/anyone. 

Last night I was watching about children being stolen by Joseph Kony in Uganda (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9006024/ns/dateline_nbc/t/children-war-uganda/ - a must read) and wonder what type of mother Kony had.  He imagines he’s a reincarnation of Jesus and calls his group “The Lord’s Resistance Army.”  It makes me wonder as America becomes further and further from God, what will prevent something like this from happening here?  I don't blame all sinful choices people make on their parents.  There comes a time when we make our own choices based on our own decisions.

But, I can't help but see how some women have taken such an important role and responsibility and lessened it on their priority list.  Time goes too fast, too soon.  There aren't any "do overs".  Once those moments have passed - they are gone.  I pray that the women whose eyes aren't opened to how precious the gift of a child is - will be.  That they will see how very important their role is in being the beginning of training up not only their own children, but her future generations.

I pray that they will be "mommies of God". 

No comments: