Tuesday, October 22, 2013

"Give It All" - 10/21/13 - Matthew 19:1-30, Mark 10:1-31, Luke 18:9-30


 “If you want to give it all you’ve got,” Jesus replied, “go sell your possessions; give everything to the poor. All your wealth will then be in heaven. Then come follow Me.”   That was the last thing the young man expected to hear. And so, crestfallen, he walked away. He was holding on tight to a lot of things, and he couldn’t bear to let go.  As He watched him go, Jesus told His disciples, “Do you have any idea how difficult it is for the rich to enter God’s kingdom? Let Me tell you, it’s easier to gallop a camel through a needle’s eye than for the rich to enter God’s kingdom.”  The disciples were staggered. “Then who has any chance at all?”
Jesus looked hard at them and said, “No chance at all if you think you can pull it off yourself. Every chance in the world, if you trust God to do it.” (Matthew 19:21-26)


Yesterday, Katie returned to Columbia after a weekend home from college.  When they asked me to ride along, I was excited to spend time with her and Teresa.  I was trying to finish up the laundry - work clothes in particular - and thought about the bookwork, bids, work that isn't started or completed - inside/outside the house, etc.  While thinking about all of this, I thought too about the "unfinished" which would be left behind, if we were in a fatal wreck.  I am ashamed at how I mismanage my time, and am striving to do better.  Thankfully, instead of beating myself up, ABBA is showing me improvement and encourages me to continue on the "better stewardship track" of my journey. 

I also began thinking of "who" I would be leaving behind.


I was driving, because Teresa hasn't very good vision at night.  I was going the speed limit - 70 - and thankful for the bright, full moon.  It was standing there, beside the road.  His head lifted up, regardless of the weight of the huge rack it sported.  I knew it wasn't going to turn around, but head straight across the road in front of me.  Hitting the brakes, the car quickly slowed down and the buck ran across the road a few feet in front of us.  We knew, ABBA had protected us.  The whole incident could have went a totally different direction.  And we immediately gave Him praise and thanksgiving.


Yes, I am looking forward to going "home" just not right now.  I strive to live as though I am dying.  But wonder, is it sin to want to still be here?  To be with those I love?  Does that mean I am loving them more than Him?  Not things, but persons I am clinging to?  He knows when my days are finished, He knows my weakness, He knows my heart so much better than I do, He knows I love Him more than those I "hold on to tightly".  What kind of steward am I in my time, our home, my heart.  Have I emptied myself of self to be totally filled with Him?  How I love His Word, but am I living it? 

He tells me, my time will come when He calls me Home.  Until then, my stewardship will continue.  To not focus on how I am doing with letting go, but bringing along, making Disciples.  For He has blessed me in knowing, without a doubt, those I am saddened to leave, will one day also be called Home.  Home together, "in" eternity with Him.  It's okay to be torn about leaving - for they are my "taste of Heaven" here on this earth. 

Don't take your "taste of Heaven" for granted.  Don't limit your "taste of Heaven" to a selected few.  As you live, as you go, make Disciples for Him - ever growing your "family"  that we will one day celebrate together - HOME.  

No comments: