Tuesday, October 01, 2013

"Swimming the Current" - 07/10/13 - Psalm 107, 111-114

"Unfazed by rumor and gossip,
Heart ready, trusting in God,
Spirit firm, unperturbed,
Ever blessed, relaxed among enemies" (112:7-8)

At times, it is hard to stand firm "in" Him. 

There are times when we feel we are swimming against the current,  not making progress, becoming tired, weak, coughing from the water entering into our lungs as our noses dip beneath the surface or the waves splash into our faces.  The times when we are focused on nothing more than the current and not the end of the journey - when we begin to lose hope of ever progressing through to the end. 

It is at those times we most need to reach down deep and rely on His Word. 

On Him.

 
Often times, when someone swims the English Channel, there is a person following along side of them in a boat.  They are there as a guide, safety, encouragement, nourishment, or even just a voice in the dark.

That is my Abba.  He isn't just in the boat though, at times He even slips into the dark waters to help me as I am weak.  Holding me up, pulling me through, allowing me to rest "in" Him.  The more I fight alone, the more I am unable to stay afloat. 

It is only through Him, the world and its attacks, are filtered out.  My "current" right now is going through the process of "shaking the dust".  "Swimming" through these waters has been a process which if allowed, would steal my joy.  Every day I am fighting the urge to obsess about different situations, rehearsing in my mind words to use to defend myself, taking my focus off of Him.  At times, picking up doubt and wondering if all I am and have experienced, is it real or has my view distorted everything? 

That is when I rely on Him.  The family "in" Him.  Those who are deep into His Word, as I am, to use the gift of discernment. 

And from His boat, He reassures me.  He gets into the waters with me, enveloping me, protecting me.  Whispering in my ear to focus on, listen to, rest and rely on - Him.

And I "swim" on -

""Unfazed by rumor and gossip,
Heart ready, trusting in God,
Spirit firm, unperturbed,
Ever blessed, relaxed among enemies"

No comments: