Sunday, November 23, 2014

"You Belong, Come" - 11/23/14 - Acts 15-16

"So outsiders who seek will find, so they'll have a place to come to"(15:17)

There is an old TV show from when I grew up, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and the Island of Misfit Toys.

It isn't that I sported a huge red-nose that would glow and beep, but felt there was something about me that never "fit in".  No matter where, or with whom, I usually felt like someone on the outside looking in.  Wanting to belong.  To be part of the celebration others seemed to be enjoying.  I am thankful in looking back to see those He did put into my life, for those few and in between times, that gave me a taste of knowing what it meant to be loved and belong.  Those He used to prompt me in continuing to seek for more than a "taste", but a whole meal of Him.

I can remember sitting in the bathroom in front of the open window, the cold winter wind blowing across my face, wishing more than anything I would catch cold and die.  Thinking my wet hair would do the trick.  I remember sitting on a window ledge nine stories up, wanting to slip off the edge, wishing more than anything I would die.  I can remember driving in the night and thinking about not taking the curve, just heading straight, wishing more than anything I could die. 

A misfit.  Feeling so alone.  Feeling like there was not any place I belonged. 

The emotions of shame, guilt, fear, controlled my thinking..  Put upon me by those who said I was always a burden.  Who have affirmed what I always felt, telling me, my love didn't matter to them.  Who caused me to believe for many years, I truly am a misfit.

Thankfully, our ABBA had other plans for me than an early death.  Today, my life is full and I have realized those that treated me as a "misfit" were correct.  I have been and always will be a "misfit". 

A misfit in the world. 

But I am not, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be - a misfit in my ABBA's heart. 

I love that He has surrounded me with the "misfits" of this world.  That my life is full of love from and for them.  Never have I experienced such joy and peace, such sense of fulfillment and belonging, as I do with my family of "misfits".  My heart feels full to bursting when looking across a room and seeing a "misfit' sibling, the look, the smile we share - knowing without doubt - we are His "misfits".

"Misfits" who are no longer "outsiders" looking in. 

And that is more than okay. 

"He led them out of the jail and asked, "Sirs, what do I have to do to be saved, to really live?"         They said, "Put your entire trust in The Master Jesus. Then you'll live as you were meant to live - and everyone in your house included!"        
They went on to spell out in detail the story of The Master - the entire family got in on this part.
They never did get to bed that night.
The jailer made them feel at home, dressed their wounds, and then - he couldn't wait till morning! - was baptized, he and everyone in his family.        
There in his home, he had food set out for a festive meal.
It was a night to remember: He and his entire family had put their trust in God; everyone in the house was in on the celebration."(16:30-34)

He hears, He sees all "outsiders".  all "misfits" calling and seeking "a place to come to".

Please listen to this - one of my favorite songs. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAMbEPZfWCY

"Came To My Rescue"Falling on my knees in worship
Giving all I am to seek your face
Lord all I am is yours

My whole life
I place in your hands
God of Mercy
Humbled I bow down
In your presence at your throne

I called you answered
And you came to my rescue and I
I wanna be where you are

My whole life
I place in your hands
God of Mercy
Humbled I bow down
In your presence at your throne

I called you answered
And you came to my rescue and I
I wanna be where you are
In my life be lifted high
In our world be lifted high
In our love be lifted high

I called you answered
And you came to my rescue and I
I wanna be where you are
 
 


No comments: