Sunday, July 03, 2016

"The Best Defense" - 07/03/16 - 2 Kings 14; 2 Chronicles 25



"He did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, but not wholeheartedly." (2 Chronicles 25:2)
 


There is a certain plant I have come to hate. 
 
Yes, I know that is a strong emotion for just a plant, but it has been eight years now that I have been working in our gardens and fighting this invasive plant.  The Virginia creeper . Looking about in our woods, I can see it has reached the tops of many trees.  I know this winter, when the vegetation is gone, we need to be out cutting and spraying.  No matter how many of the little plants I pull, vines I tear out, unless it is killed from the main trunk, it will continue to send out creepers, above and underground, taking over any territory. Eventually choking the life out of the plants it wraps itself around.

In the same way I have also been working on my heart. my mind. 
 
The only way our ABBA wants us - is wholeheartedly.
 
He wants us to be head over heels in love with Him - as He is with us.  To desire to be with Him each moment .  each second.  just as He does with us.   He wants to be the center of our world.  our thoughts.  our everything.  Just as we are to Him.
 
He wants to be our one and only God.
 
"Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me."(Psalm 51:10) is my daily prayer, but just like the Virginia creeper , sin will come in and choke the life out of us as soon as we let our focus fall away from Him.   
 
Before we know it, we are serving Him without the whole of our heart. 
Our ABBA and His Word is the only "weed killer" that works - permanently. 

I strive with all that I am to spend my time with my "Master Gardner",  helping me to be rid of the "Virginia creepers".  It is my desire for the garden of my heart to be "wholeheartedly devoted to God" and I have found He is the best "weed" defense there is.
 
 





No comments: