Tuesday, January 21, 2014

"If God" - Jan 21: Gen 27-29

"If God" (29:20)


Just a little bit audacious.  Dear Jacob, after dreaming of God, waking up the next morning, "He was terrified. He whispered in awe, "Incredible. Wonderful. Holy. This is God's House. This is the Gate of Heaven."   He then builds an alter. 


And has the audacity to say, "if God". 


He has the audacity to tell God what to do and how then, he will be towards God.  And how gracious of him to say, "this God will be my God".  It makes me wonder who He is even praying to, "this God"? 


Wow. 


Does it ever surprise you how many persons in The Bible, God didn't just strike down with a lightening bolt? 


So easy to sit in judgment.  Knowing Jacob was raised in a household that also had other gods in it,  gives some insight to his behavior and his mother.  They did not view God as The One and Only God, so they didn't honor Him as such.  So many times, I too have done the same. 


My "other god" is self. 


So many times in worshiping "self", I have had the audacity to treat God without honor.  To put myself on such a pedestal, I have also said "If".  Bargaining, thinking He should be honored that I would give of myself what I deemed enough.  Oh, how self-righteous I have been at times. 

Haven Video • View topic - Lightning: Bolts of Fire (2011)It is such a blessing He covers me with grace, mercy, forgiveness - instead of lightening bolts. 

No comments: