Friday, January 11, 2013

"The Boss" - 01/11/13 - Genesis 30:25-31:55

 “In the twenty years I’ve worked for you" (31:38)


Curt and I each had our first jobs when we were very young.  Being raised on farms, that wasn't all that unusual and I would not trade that experience for the world.  I love that I am a farm girl.  It taught us the value of hard work, to be resourceful in tight situations, the joys and hardships of working in the elements, to wait for the harvest.  It taught us how to work with others and alone, to recognize how we were part of a chain that contributed to the care of others.  If we didn't work, someone else had to pick up the jobs and still do their own.  It taught us the importance of a person's word, the helping out of others and allowing others to help you out.  To be part of a community - yet still be on your own.   

It also taught me the difference between the big and little farmers.  The ways that some accumulated their wealth and the ways some lost it.  I recognized very early on that farming is a gamble.  You depended on so much for your "paycheck" at the end of the year - the weather, the soil, the markets, your equipment not breaking down, time.  Through the hard physical work, it strengthened my body to do the jobs I do today.  I know that I will probably pay big time for the wear and tear in my later years! 

God has blessed our business throughout the years.  He has taken it and grown it, even when the economy is failing.  Only because of Him.  We do work hard, but He is the one in control.  I used to become so anxious and worried about bills, savings, the future.  Not anymore.  It finally hit me that this isn't our business - it is His.  We work for Him - He is the Boss.   In every single aspect of it - it is up to Him.  With every bid I send out, I send it knowing it doesn't matter if the figures are right, etc.  If He wants us to have the work, we will.  He has me see that when working for self/man you really never get ahead.  The bank account may get bigger, but how is my relationship with Him. 

Do I depend on the dollar for my security, my worth, my sense of being or Him.  I am so thankful that through our roots of being farm kids, we recognized Him in it all.  It has helped both of us become a team and work together for His business.  I am so blessed that my husband is on board of using His business to bless others.  That he watches for ways we can help someone out and we look forward to doing so together. 

So - Who is your Boss?  Who do you work for?  Where is your security?  What is the measuring stick for your work ethics, your work performance?  Do you depend on Him or the paycheck?  Jacob worked for Labon 20 years.  And throughout that time Labon tried to take everything from Jacob.  God is bigger - He provided.  And today, Curt and I work and it seems the government is taking everything from us.  We are getting older, our bodies are feeling the affects of our labor, we are getting tired.  And I could worry about our future, but I don't.  We continue on being stewards of what He has blessed us with.  We continue to look for ways to serve Him.  

We rest in Him knowing,  as He did for Jacob, He does and will provide. 

Why?  Because He is "The Boss"......



No comments: