Friday, March 16, 2012

03/16/12 - the "good' food


Deut 15:10-11 Give freely and spontaneously. Don't have a stingy heart. The way you handle matters like this triggers God, your God's, blessing in everything you do, all your work and ventures."



So - what am I stingy with? Who am I stingy towards?

Food. Rather certain kinds - the "good" stuff. I can remember hiding some foods when the boys were young so I wouldn't have to share. How old was I? What a lesson I taught them. Fortunately, they take after their dad! I love to cook, have people over. But, I don't like sharing what's on my plate. I always say, "You know I love you, if I share my "good" food with you."

We enjoy having people in His home. For the past three years, almost every Wednesday night, our Bible study "family" has met here. I love doing for others. Most others. Some persons I feel are more about abusing the system and I become judgemental. I really struggle with helping these persons out. I share pretty well with most - my time, gifts, money, talents.

Another area I fail in is accepting blessings. I know it is because of self pride/control. As long as I don't accept the blessing, no one thinks I am in need. I have everything under control. When I first had my disease, all the medical expenses completely broke us. We had to go on food stamps. During Christmas we were a Good News family. Didn't have any money and God used this time to work me over. My eyes were opened wide! I really wasn't in control of anything.

Over the years since, He has blessed us so much in all ways. Our business, the home He is allowing us to live in. We don't drive the fancy cars, live in a mansion on a hilltop, hobnob at all the fancy places, but we are so rich. Looking back I see now we always have been. He always provides our needs. Because of His great love, I so desire to please Him, share blessings to bring glory to Him.

He has taught me to live each day as though it is my last. During the past years, He has helped me to become thankful for my disease. It has set my priorities! We are all dying - take advantage of each moment - it may be the last one. He has also taught me to accept blessings. Every time I begin to say, "no thank you", I can hear Him tell me, "Deby, by not accepting this blessing they have for you, you are preventing them from receiving a blessing from giving".

All our money, this home, our business, our equipment, furnishings, clothes, even the "good" food - belongs to Him. It's not even partially mine. Lately He has really helped me see that. I am just His worker. I don't have to wear the yoke of ownership. He takes care of it all. My job is to be a good steward.

To give blessings out to all people.

And to receive them too.

No comments: