Saturday, April 09, 2016

"Clean House" - 04/09/16 - I Samuel 4-8



"Then Samuel addressed the house of Israel: "If you are truly serious about coming back to God, clean house.
Get rid of the foreign gods and fertility goddesses, ground yourselves firmly in God,
worship Him and Him alone,
and He'll save you from Philistine oppression."(7:3)



There is a saying, "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your schedule".
 
Each year I have one for our downtime season.   It is to go through our home and  shop.  To totally clean and organize them top to bottom.  It seemed this season was incredibly short, but I did manage to check off the list our taxes are done, the office up to date and the shop is completed as well.  The house.  Well, remodeling the downstairs put a kink in my schedule. 

I have found over the years if I do this every winter, it is much easier to stay on top of things during our busy time. There are days when we begin not much after dawn and are driving home in the dark. Even though I am so very thankful for the work He is providing - it robs me of my energy and motivation when I do get home.

The truth is - I love an organized and clean home. I hate the amount of time and energy I waste when looking for something, or having to buy something, because it is "lost" in the mess. 
I love opening up closets and cabinets and seeing order. Most of all, I love seeing empty space. I used to be so sentimentally attached to everything - it was too hard to throw it away. Not a hoarder like what you see on TV, but too much "stuff".

And that is exactly what it is - stuff.
Stuff which can slowly become my god.

Before I know it,  I begin to find comfort, security, worth, etc. in stuff.
It gets in the way of my relationship with God.

 It affects my ability to be a good steward of what He has given me.
 It can wreck havoc on my life.

Our house isn't filled floor to ceiling with paths in each room, but there are areas in need of attention. In my journey through the Daniel Fast, I discovered why food and clothes were too important to me. I would find it hard to part with clothes I really don't like - in case I will need them. There was almost a physical pain when I would get rid of something someone gave me - even though I didn't like it nor would I ever wear it. He helped me see in my journey, those Items, hanging there on the hanger, were becoming my god.

"God answered Samuel, "Go ahead and do what they're asking. They are not rejecting you.
They've rejected me as their King.
From the day I brought them out of Egypt until this very day they've been behaving like this, leaving me for other gods.
And now they're doing it to you. So let them have their own way.
But warn them of what they're in for."(8:7-9)

I know in these verses they are referring to wanting an earthly king. Someone to take the place of God amongst them. Someone they could physically see and hear. But, I also know with these verses He is telling me, "yes, you can keep all this stuff - but there are consequences." I recognized from some of the material and mental stuff I was hanging onto,  there came the false sense of security in keeping it.

He opened my eyes to see I need to be holding onto Him - not the "stuff".

He has shown me, "having my way", it really is a burden and helps me to rid my life of the "stuff".
He has given me the freedom which comes from living life without all the "stuff". 

Looking back I now see, I wasn't experiencing life the way He has planned. 
He wants me to enjoy this life, to be prepared, to be a warrior for Him.

To be totally secure In "Him".
Not "stuff"



No comments: