Thursday, January 05, 2017

"Continually Seeing Us" - 01/05/17 - Genesis 16-18




"The angel of God said, “Go back to your mistress. Put up with her abuse.” He continued, “I’m going to give you a big family, children past counting.
From this pregnancy, you’ll get a son: Name him Ishmael;
for God heard you, God answered you.
He’ll be a bucking bronco of a man,
a real fighter, fighting and being fought,
Always stirring up trouble,
always at odds with his family.”


 She answered God by name, praying to the God who spoke to her, “You’re The God who sees me!
“Yes! He saw me; and then I saw Him!” (16:12-13)




I continually strive to have the attitude Hagar has here.  Yes, God said He would take care of her - but it sounds like a curse and still she praised God! Her focus never left His face - "He saw me; and then I saw Him!".  (16:12-13)

 And look at the first word out of her mouth - "Yes!". 

She was an abused woman, running away from a situation that God was telling her to go right back into.  He told her the child she carried would be a son, to name him Ishmael, but the life of her son would consist of fighting and being at odds.  What mother would want that for her child? 

Yet, she still is thankful that God saw her. 

I often think about how unfair life was for Hagar.  She never had a choice or a say in the matters that would completely change her life.  And yet, when our ABBA told her to return, she immediately said.  "Yes!".  Her trust and faith are astounding, considering the situation her life and the life of her child are in. 

She was all about acknowledging, “You’re the God who sees me!
“Yes! He saw me; and then I saw Him!”

Not her problems.  Not her situation. 

Just that God saw her and she saw Him. 

There are so many times when life doesn't make sense.  seem fair.  May we be as Hagar.  
Focused on His continually seeing us and us seeing Him.  Trusting and having complete faith.

 




No comments: