Saturday, January 28, 2017

"We - His Beautiful" - 01/28/17 - Exodus 30-32



"When the people realized that Moses was taking forever in coming down off the mountain, they rallied around Aaron and said, “Do something. Make gods for us who will lead us. That Moses, the man who got us out of Egypt—who knows what’s happened to him?”So Aaron told them, “Take off the gold rings from the ears of your wives and sons and daughters and bring them to me.” They all did it; they removed the gold rings from their ears and brought them to Aaron. He took the gold from their hands and cast it in the form of a calf, shaping it with an engraving tool.
The people responded with enthusiasm: “These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up from Egypt!”
Aaron, taking in the situation, built an altar before the calf.
Aaron then announced, “Tomorrow is a feast day to God!”"32:1-5)


Isn't this the same group of people who just a few days ago were shaking in their sandals at the bottom the mountain. 

"All the people, experiencing the thunder and lightning, the trumpet blast and the smoking mountain, were afraid—they pulled back and stood at a distance. They said to Moses, “You speak to us and we’ll listen, but don’t have God speak to us or we’ll die.”
Moses spoke to the people: “Don’t be afraid. God has come to test you and instill a deep and reverent awe within you so that you won’t sin.”
The people kept their distance while Moses approached the thick cloud where God was."(20:18-21)

Blatantly sinning, right there in plain sight of Him.  Could they not see the cloud of God anymore?  Or were they choosing to ignore it?

Much like I do when I make the choice to sin. 

Right there, in plain sight of God. 

Rather bold, aren't I.  Or just plain stupid and selfish.

The thing is - when I am focused on His face, everywhere I look - I see Him. 
In His nature, His people, even the things He has enabled man to create. 

My mind is always running from one thought to another. 

While baking a cake, I am astounded at all the different recipes that are created from the same basic ingredients.  And who thought to put these different mixtures together.  Working outside I think about the people who walked before me.  How the landscape has changed.  Wondering what things they saw and experienced.  What caused them to come to this place or to leave.  I think about the people He has caused my paths to cross with and wonder who my ancestors paths crossed to help make me who I am today from ideas, prayers, thoughts handed down. 

I simply marvel about Him. 
I am amazed over and over that before He created the world - He knew. 

He. knew.

Everything there is to know about me.  About you. 

Where, who, when. 

Every. single. thing.

Inside and out.

And then.
Right there in front of Him, my focus is caught up by "self" or the world. 
I turn from simply marveling about Him to complaining. 
It becomes more about "my" time, "my" way - about "self".  

It is like those moments when we exit from the shower, wipe the mirror with our towel, and some of us see only ugly in the reflection. We don't simply marvel in the creation of "me". We only cut it down, believing the lies of the world of what we "should" look like - we begin the process of tearing "me" apart - one sinful lie at a time. 

How often are we, right there in front of Him,  guilty of worshiping "the golden calf" - the lies of "self" and satan. 

How often do we forget in our sinning, He is everywhere.  Always.  

We have moved our focus from Him and are now standing with the mud of sin on our face.
But if we listen, we will hear His voice,
"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well."(139:14)

We then begin to hear His other promises, His truths, and once again focus on His face."

As we look back into the mirror, with His Words (not ours) running through our mind, thoughts go forth in seeing how He created such a miracle in the human body.  The precise way in how everything fits and works in perfect harmony.  How all the parts are needed to complete the cycle of living.  He even designed us with a touch of His humor.  Look at the little toes, the belly button, and why did He make toenails???

Time and time again, He uses His Word to get us refocused on Him. 

His Word. 
Our vision of God in the thick cloud covering the mountain top Moses climbed and stayed for 40 days and nights. 
High above and all about in order for us to be able to see Him everywhere we go. 
Enabling us to learn how in Him we are covered in the beautiful gifts of His forgiveness, grace and mercy.  How He has wiped the mud of sin from our face.
Eyes opened wide simply marveling at the beauty of Him all about us.  Even when we are looking in the mirror. 






 

No comments: