Monday, March 23, 2015

"A Date" - 03/23/15 - Joshua 1-4



"Don't get off track, either left or right, so as to make sure you get to where you're going. And don't for a minute let this Book of The Revelation be out of mind. Ponder and meditate on it day and night, making sure you practice everything written in it. Then you'll get where you're going; then you'll succeed. Haven't I commanded you? Strength! Courage! Don't be timid; don't get discouraged. God, your God, is with you every step you take." (Joshua 1:8,9)
 

 

Terri L. Smith, age 57, of 2900 Selkirk, Quincy, died Saturday, March 21, 2015, at 5:22 p.m. in her home.
Terri Smith | Hansen-Spear Funeral Home - Quincy, ILTerri was born August 12, 1957 in Kirksville, MO. On July 19, 2003 she married Kevin Smith in Quincy. He survives.

Terri was a 1975 graduate of Quincy High School. She worked as a registered nurse at Blessing Hospital and Quincy Medical Group. She loved spending time with grandchildren and taking care of her family and friends. If anybody ever needed anything, Terri was always the first one to offer her help. It was her great pleasure in life. She also enjoyed travel and gardening.

Terri was a member of Madison Park Christian Church.

In addition to her husband, Terri is survived by a daughter, Mackenzie (Logan) Kammerer of Quincy; two step-children, Jody (Cole) Turpin of LaBelle, MO, and Mitchell (fiancé Sara Dolbeare) Smith of Barry, IL; six grandchildren, Aria and Everly Kammerer, Tuff and Lily Turpin, Bradlee and Mikayla Smith; her mother, Shirley (Clifford) Plunk of Quincy; a brother, Bradley (Lois) Dickson of Quincy; a step-sister, Brenda (Richard) Martin of Fowler, IL; a step-brother, Tim (Laura) Plunk of Quincy and numerous nieces and nephews.

Terri was preceded in death by her father, James Dickson, and a sister, Rebecca, in infancy.

Services: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 11:00 a.m. in Madison Park Christian Church, with Rev. Chuck Sackett officiating.
Burial: Private family burial will take place in Shiloh Cemetery, Plainville, IL
Visitation: Tuesday from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. in Hansen-Spear Funeral Home.
Memorials: Madison Park Christian Church
 
 
Just a few weeks ago, we sat at the dinner table and caught up with each other.  Picking up where we left off since our last time together.  Always it was that way with us.  My mind has run through many memories I have of this beautiful inside/out woman, and through the tears - there is a smile.  The image of her smile.  Her smile from the heart.

We promised each other to write a date on the calendar and make it happen.  Time between our visits was going too long.  Of course it breaks my heart, knowing our "date" here on earth won't be happening - but I do know our date to spend eternity has already begun with her getting things ready.

Terri had such the gift of hostess.  Always her table was set to make you feel special.  The food was wonderful.  The conversation flowed.  She always served her heart and a bushel of love, no matter the occasion.  How she graciously opened her home to us many times when we would be visiting from Texas. We still laughed after all these years,  remembering the night Curt saved her from the bat that had found its way into her bedroom during the middle of the night.  I look through photographs and see her helping to make our Nichalas/Amber's rehearsal dinner have that special touch she always gave to everything.  And everyone.  

Within my heart are tucked many conversations.  I rejoice in remembering those we shared of our ABBA.  She loved Him so.  I am so thankful she lived long enough to see her family come into His arms.  I am so thankful they will lean on Him during this time.  My heart delights knowing her smile is ever present, as she is rejoicing nonstop with Him right now.  I can just see her grinning ear to ear with that twinkle in her eye.  She is Home. 

If I allowed myself, thoughts of death could consume me. Scare me. Become my obsession. God tells me to meditate on His Word - day and night. He promises me I'll get where He wants me to go, if I stay focused on Him. Life isn't an easy journey. But, walking in Him there are blessings in all things, situations. I also receive strength and courage through Him.

He also has shown me to savor each moment. Do I look back at the end of my day and smile at how I chose to spend my time? I started keeping a separate journal this year listing only in it what made me smile that day. I don't want to forget, or take for granted, the big or small smiles He gave me. I don't want to let fear of growing older, of death rob me of those.
 
He tells me not to be timid. Embrace my fears, get to know them - dance with them - then they can no longer have a hold on me. He is with me every single step of the way. Being in His Word every day has transformed my heart and focus. He is everywhere I look. He is enabling me to savor life, set my priorities to His measuring stick not mine. That living here on this earth really isn't what it is all about. That really living is living with Him eternally.
 
There is nothing that can stop time except to die. Until that happens - it does march on. I am blessed with many memories. Blessed with the fact that I dread separation from us that death brings for those I love, because He taught me how to love deeply. Blessed with the promise as long as I am alive, there will be more smiles. Blessed in knowing He conquered death.
 
So my lesson from Him - "Don't get off track, either left or right, so as to make sure you get to where you're going" - be it with thoughts of aging, death, memories, etc. My number one job in my journey of life is to go and make disciples. Too many are dying not knowing Him. Too many moments are being spent without Him being the focus. Too many are living in total fear of death.
 
And He has also shown me to cherish each and every moment.
 
Make a date on your calendar with those He puts into your life.
 
 
And make it happen.
 
 
Time goes - too fast, too soon.

 
 
 

No comments: