Monday, March 30, 2015

"I Do It To Myself" - 03/30/15 - Judges 1-2


"They cut off his thumbs and big toes." (Judges 1:6)

Throughout Joshua we are told of the many wars.  Wars that were necessary for eliminating the Promise Land of pagans - who like a cancer would destroy the Israelites from within.  As I read today a summary of wars, it again reminds me - we are still fighting for souls.  The scriptures continually point out I too, am a warrior. 

God has equipped me with all I need to fight in this battle for souls.  Being on the side that won, God of all is my Daddy and Leader.  A full armor - His Word -  detailing for me all moves needed in the strategy of war.  The Holy Spirit within and around me.  There is no doubt that I am surrounded by His hedge of protection, the power of His family joining together and fighting as one.  I am not alone!

And still with all He has equipped me with - when I sin, I am cutting off my "thumbs and big toes".  

A warrior in order to shoot a straight arrow and hit the target, must grasp the string with both his fingers and thumb.  He has trouble balancing and running without his big toes.  They were disgraced because they could no longer fight. 

I am hindering myself when I decide to serve me over Him.  A self-destructive cycle.  Much like cutting off my nose to spite my face.  Something I find myself doing continually in the roles of my life.  How thankful I am that He completely heals me, sets me straight and we begin again - numerous times.  How thankful I am that He is bigger than my mess ups.  That His grace and mercy have me covered. 

One of my greatest fears is Judges 2:10 - "Then another generation grew up that didn't know anything of God or the work He had done".  There aren't enough words to express how thankful I am that our kids know Him intimately.  That they are about being a light for Him - a warrior. 

But, I see when I look around so many who do not know Him.  He is giving me a sense of urgency to be the best possible warrior for Him. 

To take care of my "thumbs and toes" so I am not hindered......to not be a disgrace. 

This isn't about serving me - it's about serving Him - to be His Warrior for lost souls.

No comments: