Friday, April 10, 2015

"Dealing" - 04/10/15 - 1 Samuel 9-12

 "Nahash said, "I'll make a treaty with you on one condition: that every right eye among you be gouged out! I'll humiliate every last man and woman in Israel before I'm done!"
 The town leaders of Jabesh said, "Give us time to send messengers around Israel—seven days should do it. If no one shows up to help us, we'll accept your terms." (11:2,3) 

How many times because of our choices, are we backed into a corner.  Feeling trapped, not knowing which way to turn and then we make a decision without consulting God.  This account doesn't  say the town leaders would consult God then get back with them, but that they would send messengers around Israel.  Calling in the troops without consulting the Commander in Chief.  And how many times like the Israelites do I do this?  And then find because of my not consulting Him - I am in a jam?  How many times do I feel I have life by the tail and I can make a risky choice - only to have it turn on me.  Can you imagine making such a deal as they did?  Every - not just some, but every right eye.  And what kind of person comes up with this???  And they are making deals with them?

So easy to sit in judgement of their foolish dealings.  It is about then I see the board in my own eye.  I look back upon my life and see many, many times I too made deals with "the devil".  Thinking I had the upper hand and I didn't.  For almost 25 years I lived like that.  Until I found myself in a corner - married with our first son - and realized  I needed to give my life over to ABBA.  To stop making deals with the devil.  I now had too much to lose.  I had a son I loved more than anything, watching  and learning from me. 

"At that very moment God transformed him—made him a new person!"(10:9)

God did this to me.  The moment I made the choice to accept Him as my Savior.  I had been baptized years ago, because everyone was doing it.  Now I knew I had within me the Holy Spirit and He was there to guide me.  I had His personal love letter to me, His Word, in which to learn of Him and obtain the gift of Wisdom. 

From my intimate relationship with Him I have received such hope.  Knowing without a doubt I am His and He is mine.  Forever.

 "Samuel said to them, "Don't be fearful. It's true that you have done something very wrong. All the same, don't turn your back on God. Worship and serve him heart and soul! Don't chase after ghost-gods. There's nothing to them. They can't help you. They're nothing but ghost-gods! God, simply because of who he is, is not going to walk off and leave his people. God took delight in making you into his very own people."(12:20-22)

I love the words of Samuel. As long as we are breathing there is another chance with God. He wants nothing more than for us to be His - of our own free choice. There were many "ghost-gods" I chased before finally realizing the only way the void within me could be filled was with Him. There aren't enough words to express the blessings which come from worshiping and serving Him with my heart and soul. To be amazed that a love you share with Him continues to grow and grow when you think you've met the max. 

He took my stumbling blocks and made them into His stepping stones.

No comments: