Sunday, April 19, 2015

"Shelter Through The Storms" - 04/19/15 - 1 Samuel 28-31; Psalm 18

"David strengthened himself with trust in his God.  Then David prayed to God"(1Sam 30:7,8)

I love David.  His example of how often he relied on God.  How often when I become fearful do I react like he did or go running scared?  What a lesson I get from these verses.  Life isn't always fair.  Sometimes when you feel like you're "walking in sunshine", storms will suddenly sweep in. 

One of the many things I love about standing firm in Him is that He helps me be aware of the storm clouds that are coming.  He also surrounds me and protects me.

I can remember being young and sneaking out onto the front porch during storms to watch the sky, the effects of the wind.  I love storms.  I think it would be so neat to be a storm chaser.  But, I love storms when I am watching from a safe place.  As an adult I have I have learned that porches are not a safe place, lightening can strike you even while watching from a window. 

David was in a storm of life and he knew that he would have to go into the middle of it.  He also knew that He would be safe because he used the most powerful weapon he had - "he prayed to God".  Most times God does allow us to watch the storms from a safe distance, but sometimes we are required to go in the middle of it.  Being thankful during these times isn't my strong suit.  Afterwards, when reflecting - I am.  Weathering the storms helps me grow in Him and also in becoming who He created me to be.

Another thing I remember from my youth living in the country, were all of the underground storm shelters that people had in their yards.  They were usually quite close to the house and also used to keep their canned goods and vegetables in.  This wasn't a space used only for storms - it held their foods to live on during the winter months.  Also, by keeping their foods in them, they would have something to eat if their homes were destroyed.  It was also something that had to be maintained and cleaned.  The brush had to be kept back from the door for quick, easy access.  Yearly cleaning of the inside, removal of any spoiled foods, snakes, rodents, etc.  I can remember helping my great aunt dust off her shelves and cleaning off the jars. 

His Word is exactly that to me - my own personal storm shelter.  I have it in my heart and it is my spiritual food to live on, to keep my heart clean and organized.  I know though that for years I really didn't utilize it all the time.  It sat there in "my yard".  As I walked by it, mowed, lived around it, I became so used to it that I didn't see it.  How thankful I am that He made me aware of it without having to weather a major storm! 

David prayed - how is my prayer life?  How often do I really step down into my "storm shelter" and just pray?  Perhaps that is why He keeps waking me up in the middle of the night.  Our life is so busy now during the day - He knows that this time of morning is still.  Kinda like the calm before the storm - He is preparing me for the day ahead.

"Strengthened myself with trust in my God" for any storms that will come up. 

Not may - but will.

No comments: