Monday, December 17, 2012

"Christ"mas - 12/17/12 - 2 Timothy 4:19-22, Hebrews 1:1-4:13

"And so this is still a live promise. It wasn’t canceled at the time of Joshua; otherwise, God wouldn’t keep renewing the appointment for “today.” The promise of “arrival” and “rest” is still there for God’s people. God himself is at rest. And at the end of the journey we’ll surely rest with God. So let’s keep at it and eventually arrive at the place of rest, not drop out through some sort of disobedience."  (Hebrews 4:8-11)

How different the holidays are for each of us.  Some are filled with wonderful memories - others the opposite.  My heart is so sad as I think of the future Christmas' for those in Sandy Hook and other places that are suffering.  How very thankful I am that as I journey through this world, I have the gift of Christ for eternity.  The gift that draws my focus off the "why" and trust in Him.  The gift that tells me that He is in complete control, even when my eyes are trying to convince me the opposite.  It is so essential to take advantage of the turmoil of evil and offer His peace to those without the gift of Him.  I pray that each of us will seek out and give that gift to all He puts into our path - always - until we are at "rest with God".


Often in the celebration of Christmas, we forget the reason of why He came to be among us as a human.  That Christ left His place with God to journey as we do through this world.  He resisted each and every temptation, He experienced each and every emotion we do - and He never, ever took His focus off of His Daddy - our Daddy.  When I focus on His death and resurrection, the part that puts things into perspective is that Christ chose to be my sacrifice, He chose to separate Himself from God - totally - for those three days.  Because He loved me that much.  And I then wonder - who am I not to love all others as He loved me?  To forgive as He forgave me?  To make giving the gift of Him an essential part of my journey here. 

How easily I make "self" my number one priority. 

So, I pray that I may not get caught up in the drama of Christmas.  I pray that I will turn over to Him and not take things personal.  That I will focus on the gifts from Him and not the attacks from satan.  And there will be attacks.  The family getting together to celebrate Him - how satan hates that!  I am so thankful for His Word that speaks to me and prepares me for my journey towards my rest with Him.  That even though I will fail, I will stumble, I will stand and wallow in the mud puddle of self pity - I do know without a doubt - I will "get over it", readjust my focus onto Him, and carry on. 

How very thankful and blessed I am to carry "Christ"mas with me always. 

And that "Christ"mas carries me - always.

No comments: