Monday, November 19, 2012

"1000 gifts" - 11/19/12 - I Corinthians 4:1-7:40

 "It’s important to look at things from God’s point of view."(4:6)

"I do want to point out, friends, that time is of the essence. There is no time to waste, so don’t complicate your lives unnecessarily. Keep it simple—in marriage, grief, joy, whatever. Even in ordinary things—your daily routines of shopping, and so on. Deal as sparingly as possible with the things the world thrusts on you. This world as you see it is on its way out."(7:29-31)

I have recently finished the book,  "One Thousand Gifts",  by Ann Voskamp.  Aside from His Word, this is probably the most heart/soul/mind/life changing book I have ever absorbed.  I love how His timing is. 

Over a year ago I received this book as a thank you and started to read it.  After only the first two  chapters, I put it down and didn't pick it back up.  For my birthday this year, I was given another copy as a gift from a dear, dear sister.  His timing - this time as I dove into it...........I had to make myself read it slowly - I have had such a hard time putting it down.

This task of writing out my "1000 gifts" has so helped in looking at things from God's point of view.  It is so helping me to live my life through Him.  It has really made the verses He spoke to me today ring truth. 

"Time is of the essence."

How essential it is to live my life as I am living for Him.  To not wallow in self-pity, to not focus on me, but on Him.  To look into His eyes with every breath that I take.

Every breath.

I am thankful for so very much.  Right now, I am looking back over the past few months and realizing medicines He created have been such necessity in my life as well.  In 1985, shortly after Adam was born, I was diagnosed with borderline manic depression.  There were numerous medicines I was on, which seemed to help me out.  Then, thinking I was "okay", I decided to try life with only the medication of His Word.  It is amazing how depression sneaks up on you - affects your vision/focus without you totally realizing it.  How what is really not "normal" is soon seen as "normal".   Looking back - I see that I never should have went off the meds.

Looking back - I have many regrets as a wife, mom, total person.  So many highs and lows could have been prevented if only...........

God let me know in His way that I needed to go back on meds.  I have.  It was the best thing I could have done for me.  For my family.  For my life.  For my focus. 

A dear sister asked me the other day, "why did you stop".  I replied, "I thought I was okay without them." 

I so wasn't.

I also know that is why I couldn't read through this book the first time.  My mind wasn't able to focus on Him.  I wasn't able to absorb the message He needed for me to have. I needed to be stable. 

I love that I truly do feel/know the Fruits of the Spirit.  That I am living life as I go - for Him.  In all things.  Perhaps that is why I am finding myself so excited about this Thanksgiving.  That He is filling me up, even though Nichalas and Amber aren't here with us, with my the rest of my "family".  Filling this home to celebrate Him!

I am able to see His "1000 gifts"............

Start counting yours

and never stop.





No comments: