Sunday, October 22, 2017

"How Glorious Is Life In Him" - 10/22/17 - Romans 8-10




"So don’t you see that we don’t owe this old do-it-yourself life one red cent. There’s nothing in it for us, nothing at all. The best thing to do is give it a decent burial and get on with your new life. 

God’s Spirit beckons. There are things to do and places to go!

This resurrection life you received from God is not a timid, grave-tending life.


It’s adventurously expectant, greeting God with a childlike “What’s next, Papa?”

God’s Spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are.
We know who He is, and we know who we are: Father and children.
And we know we are going to get what’s coming to us—an unbelievable inheritance!

We go through exactly what Christ goes through.
If we go through the hard times with Him, then we’re certainly going to go through the good times with Him! (8:12-17)



Everywhere you looked, there was only water.  No land was visible as far as the eye could see.  I thought I was alone in the small, handmade, wooden craft.  The power to push it through the waters came from the oars held within my hands or the motor mounted on the back.  The ways of the waters determined which power source was used. 

This adventure I set out upon, began from the moment of my birth.  It took me a number of years to recognize He was with me..... 

He has always been with me during the dark nights.  When the waves towered above the craft, as I huddled in the corner, shivering from the cold.  The days when my soul lay parched, dried up,  yearning for the fresh, cool water - anything other than the bitter, brackish drops that fell between my lips from the spray of the sea.  The days when all I desired was shelter from the penetrating,  all consuming rays of the sun, as it beat down upon my weary body.  Yearning for someone else to steer the craft, knowing I was only going about in circles, slowly winding my way downward to the bottom of the sea.   Sitting, with my fist upraised, clenched in anger, as yet another storm came.  Not content to lay back and let the rains trickle over my face, drinking in the pure sweet water, not only with my mouth, but the pores of my entire being. 

And finally.

At my lowest point when I had given up control, laid down in the bottom of the boat, just waiting for death.  My face turned upward.  Salty tears coursed slowly down the sides of my face, into my hair, mixing in the with waters of the sea.  My eyes were searching into the vast, ink dark sky, looking beyond the farthest star.....

I found Him. 

I found Him beyond the farthest point.  I found Him in the roughest seas.  I found Him there in the boat with me.  Knowing somehow, He had always been there.  There and everywhere, in the sea of life. 

I found Him when I died to self. 

And now.  He is the one who controls the rudder of our craft.  At times I become selfish.  And He in His grace steps aside.  He allows me to take our craft - where it again goes in circles.  Yet, He is always there to take over the relinquished control I willingly give Him. 

No longer is this an adventure of vultures circling around, waiting for death.  It is rebirth.  It is an adventure filled with trust and faith and hope.  Today, when the waters are as they used to be and would bring about fear, I am now able to do all He commands.  Even if it means, getting out to walk upon the waters.  No longer do I sit huddled in fear during the storms.  I sit beside Him, facing forward, delighting as the waves take us on a heart thrilling ride.  No longer does the darkness of night bring me fear, His never ending presence is my night light - my security - my thankfulness.  No longer does the sun beat down upon me, His Son shields me in His protective light.  No longer do I sit with an upraised clinched fist, I now raise open hands in praise, in an embrace, in a welcome.

No longer are my days drifting on and on - for now I see the land - the land of Home. 

And each day? 

Each day  "It’s adventurously expectant, greeting God with a childlike “What’s next, Papa."







No comments: