Thursday, November 02, 2017

"Give It All You've Got" - 10/31/17 - Matthew 18-20




“If you want to give it all you’ve got,” Jesus replied, “go sell your possessions; give everything to the poor. All your wealth will then be in Heaven. Then come follow Me.”   

That was the last thing the young man expected to hear. And so, crestfallen, he walked away. He was holding on tight to a lot of things, and he couldn’t bear to let go. 

As He watched him go, Jesus told His disciples, “Do you have any idea how difficult it is for the rich to enter God’s Kingdom? Let Me tell you, it’s easier to gallop a camel through a needle’s eye than for the rich to enter God’s Kingdom.” 

The disciples were staggered. “Then who has any chance at all?”
Jesus looked hard at them and said, “No chance at all if you think you can pull it off yourself.

Every chance in the world, if you trust God to do it.” (Matthew 19:21-26)


Following me into the office to get white paper, stapler and tape to make a book, Charles exclaimed, "Wow!  That's a lot of receipts g'ma", as he tiptoed over the sorted piles on the floor.  I smiled and said I was trying to get a head start on them for taxes. 

I also smiled because the receipts were still laying there, work not completed,  because I had taken time off to "play" with he and Ella. 


As I have gotten older, I strive to have our home and business in order.  Particularly when we are going to be away for awhile; for I do not want to leave a mess for our family.  I desire for their time to be spent comforting and being with each other - not wading through a bunch of disorganized "stuff". 

But more often than not, everything isn't in order and I sometimes think about the "unfinished" which would be left behind if I were suddenly called "Home".  I am guilty of sometimes mismanaging my time, and am striving to do better.  I am sometimes guilty of hanging onto "stuff" for sentimental reasons, for reasons of self worth.  Actually, for all the wrong reasons. 

Thankfully, instead of beating myself up, ABBA is showing me improvement and encourages me to continue on the "better stewardship track" of my journey.  There are even moments I am able to laugh about things I have held onto and let them go.

More importantly though, He has me focused on "whom" I would be leaving behind and that it really is okay to stop and "play" with those He has blessed me with. 

I am looking forward to going "Home" but honestly, just not right now.  I strive to live as though I am dying.  But wonder.  Is it sin to want to still be here?  To be with those I love?  Does that mean I am loving them more than Him?  Not things, but persons I am clinging to?  He knows when my days are finished, He knows my weakness, He knows my heart so much better than I do, He knows I love Him more than those I "hold on to tightly".  What kind of steward am I in my time, our home, my heart.  Have I emptied myself of "self" to be totally filled with Him?  How I love His Word, but am I living it? 

He tells me the time will come when He calls me Home. 
Until then, my stewardship will continue.

To not overly focus on how I am doing with letting go, but whom I am bringing along, making Disciples.  For He has blessed me in knowing, without a doubt, those I am saddened to leave, will one day also be called Home.  Home together, "in" eternity with Him.  As long as I haven't allowed another to become my god, it's okay to be torn about leaving - for they are my "Taste of Heaven" here on this earth.

  He is impressing upon me, "Don't take your "Taste of Heaven" for granted".  "Don't limit your "Taste of Heaven" to a selected few".  He has opened my eyes to the fact - Life really isn't about "the stuff". 

What freedom comes "as you live, as you go, making Disciples for Him - ever growing your "family".  It isn't about the "stuff".  It is knowing one day, we will celebrate being together - HOME.

No comments: