Monday, February 11, 2013

‎"In Plain Sight" - 02/11/13 - Exodus 32:1-34:35



"When the people realized that Moses was taking forever in coming down off the mountain, they rallied around Aaron and said, “Do something. Make gods for us who will lead us. That Moses, the man who got us out of Egypt—who knows what’s happened to him?”  So Aaron told them, “Take off the gold rings from the ears of your wives and sons and daughters and bring them to me.” They all did it; they removed the gold rings from their ears and brought them to Aaron. He took the gold from their hands and cast it in the form of a calf, shaping it with an engraving tool.  The people responded with enthusiasm: “These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up from Egypt!”  Aaron, taking in the situation, built an altar before the calf.
Aaron then announced, “Tomorrow is a feast day to God!” (32:1-5)


Isn't this the same group of people who just a few days ago were shaking in their sandals at the bottom the mountain.  


"All the people, experiencing the thunder and lightning, the trumpet blast and the smoking mountain, were afraid—they pulled back and stood at a distance. They said to Moses, “ You speak to us and we’ll listen, but don’t have God speak to us or we’ll die.”  Moses spoke to the people: “Don’t be afraid. God has come to test you and instill a deep and reverent awe within you so that you won’t sin.”  The people kept their distance while Moses approached the thick cloud where God was." (20:1-21)

Blatantly sinning, right there in plain sight of Him.  Could they not see the cloud of God anymore?  Or were they choosing to ignore it?

Much like I do when I make the choice to sin. 

Right there, in plain sight of God. 

Rather bold, aren't I.  Or just plain stupid.

The thing is, when I am focused on His face, everywhere I look - I see Him.  In His nature, His people, even the things He has enabled man to create. 

My mind is always running from one thought to another.  While baking a cake, I am astounded at all the different recipes that are created from the same basic ingredients.  And whoever thought to put these mixtures together.  Working outside I think about the people who walked before me.  How the landscape has changed.  Wondering what things they saw and experienced.  What caused them to come to this place or to leave.  I think about the people He has caused my paths to cross with and wonder who my ancestors paths crossed to help make me who I am today from ideas, prayers, thoughts handed down.  I marvel about Him.  I am amazed over and over that before He created the world - He knew. 

He. knew.

Everything there is to know about me.  Where, who, when. 

Every. single. thing.

Inside and out.

And then,  my focus is caught up by self or the world.  I turn from marveling about Him to complaining.  It becomes more about my time, my way - about me.  

It is like when I exit from the shower, wipe the mirror with my towel, and see only ugly in the reflection.  I don't marvel in the creation of me.  I only cut it down, believe the lies of the world of what I "should" look like - I begin the process of tearing me apart - one sinful thought at a time. 

I am guilty of worshiping "the golden calf" - the lies of self and satan. 

Right there in front of Him. 

I sometimes forget in my sinning, He is everywhere.  Always. 

I have moved my focus from Him. 

And then I hear His voice - "For you are fearfully and wonderfully made, my child".  I begin to hear His other promises, His truths, and I again focus on His face. 

My thoughts go forth in thinking of how He created such a miracle in the human body.  The precise way that everything fits and works in perfect harmony.  How all the parts are needed to complete the cycle of living.  He even designed us with a touch of His humor.  Look at the little toes, the belly button, and why did He make toenails??? 

All it takes to get me refocused on Him is His Word. 

His Word is my God in the thick cloud covering the mountain top.  High above, so I am able to see Him everywhere I go.  How He changes my vision to see His beauty in all His creation. 

Even when looking in the mirror. 

No comments: