Thursday, June 21, 2012

Flappy mouth - 05/15/12 - Psalm 131, 133, 138-141, 143

Post a guard at my mouth, God,
set a watch at the door of my lips. (psalm 141:3)

Immediately when I first read this, I thought that I was to keep my mouth shut.  When rereading it though, I realized posting a guard is much different than what I had pictured.  He wants me to talk - just talk as He talks - not how I would. 

There are many times that I can actually feel the Holy Spirit nudging me to "shut up".....and more and more I follow suit.  There are many times when I get a case of "flappy mouth" and He will zing me with a scripture.  And more and more I am actually stepping back and shutting up.  Don't get me wrong, I still have miles to go on improvement.  And there are times when I fall back into the old habits.  Why is it that bad talking about someone gives you a sense of power?  Pride?  The more He convicts me, the feelings of shame override any power or pride. 

I recognize that the main reason my words are different is due to His Word.  It wasn't until I started to be In His Word every single day that my mouth started lining up with my heart.  The more sold out I am for Him, the more my "talk matches my walk".  So many persons are turned off by the "Christians" who say they are followers of Christ, but when they get a case of "flappy mouth" - the real truth comes out.  I pray that I lead more to Christ than not.  I pray that the words that come out are pleasing to the guard.  I have read this verse as a prayer request.  I know that He knows my heart better than I do, that He knows I desire to please Him, that I so love Him.  I know because of that - He has provided the guard to set watch. 

Knowing that once words are spoken they can not be brought back, at times makes me feel physically sick as I recall some of the words I have spoken.  How very thankful I am that He is bigger than any words I have misspoken.  That doesn't give me free rein to speak as I want, but it does give me the desire to please Him out of love. 

So I am thankful that I am learning.  That my talk is more and more matching my walk with Him.

No comments: