Sunday, October 26, 2014

"So Much More" - 10/26/14 - Luke 12-13

"There is far more to your inner life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body."(12:23)




Yesterday, while helping in Adam's home, the radio was playing a secular station.  I hardly ever listen to the radio, for like TV, it seems there are a lot of commercials than what I am wanting to actually watch or listen to.  I mostly listen on Pandora, Sirius, or cd's to Christian artists, but do enjoy the pop music. 


There was an advertisement that kept repeating throughout the time for an upcoming fitness event.  Even though I can't remember word for word, the phrases that caught and stuck were:  do you want to make yourself more awesome.  make yourself look awesome.  be awesome.  The words that really have sunk in deep and cause me not only sadness, but to actually cringe -  "save your own soul".


The words that tumbled out from the advertisements were about buying something, "nothing down-special financing", driving something, wearing something, to "make your friends and neighbors jealous". 


What emptiness the world is consuming hand over fist.  What a shallow and wasteful way to live this short period of life on this earth.  It isn't that I don't enjoy nice things.  I am thankful to be driving a vehicle which is not only nice, but reliable.  My closet isn't overflowing, but I am blessed in being able to cover my body according to the seasons.  ABBA has blessed us with a home that isn't the mansion on the hilltop, but it is more than we ever dreamed we would be living in.   All He has blessed us with doesn't make me who I am.  It is only because of Christ that I am my ABBA's.
It isn't stuff that has made me "so much more".  


I haven't found anywhere in His Word where He is telling us not to enjoy the blessings.  He does tell us not to allow them to surpass His place in our lives - to not allow anything but Him to be our God.   I just keep coming back to the words I heard and am so thankful His Truth filters it out.  Could you imagine a life where the main goal is to cause someone to be jealous of you or what you have?  How much of a burden it would be, not only emotionally, also financially. 


It isn't about the stuff.


Stuff isn't what makes you.  it breaks you.  Stuff won't last for eternity.  All stuff will quickly or slowly become useless.  It is Who we live for - not what.  It is Who we fill our heart, mind, life with. 


Stuff won't save your soul.  You won't save your soul. 


Jesus tells us very clearly, "Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."(John 14:6)






No comments: