Monday, April 03, 2017

"Our Storm Shelter" - 04/03/17 - 1 Samuel 28-31



"David strengthened himself with trust in his God.  Then David prayed to God"(30:7,8)


 I love David.

His numerous accounts of how often David relied on God.  How often when we become fearful do we react like David did or go running scared?  What a lesson we glean from these verses? 

Life isn't always fair.  Sometimes when you feel like you're "walking in sunshine" the storms will suddenly sweep in. 

One of the many things I love about standing firm in Him is how He helps us be aware of the storm clouds that are coming.  He also surrounds and protects us.

I can remember being young and sneaking out onto the front porch during storms to watch the sky, the effects of the wind.  I love storms.  I think it would be so neat to be a storm chaser.  But, I love storms when I am watching from a safe place.  As an adult  I have learned porches are not a safe place.  Lightening can strike you even while watching from a window. 

David was in a storm of life and he knew he would have to go into the middle of it.  He also knew  He would be safe because he used the most powerful weapon he had - "he prayed to God". 

Most times God does allow us to watch the storms from a safe distance, but sometimes we are required to go into the middle of it.  Being thankful during these times isn't my strong suit.  Afterwards, when reflecting - I am.  Weathering the storms helps us grow in Him and also into becoming whom He created us to be.

I  can remember from my youth living in the country, there were many underground storm shelters people had in their yards.  They were usually quite close to the house, used not only for shelter from the storms, but also for storing their canned goods and vegetables for the coming winter months or if their homes were destroyed during a storm.  The area around the shelters also had to be maintained and cleaned.  Brush had to be kept back from the door for quick, easy access.  I recall moments of helping my great aunt cleaning the inside, dusting of the jars, removal of any spoiled foods, snakes, rodents, etc. 

His Word is exactly that to each one of us.  Our own personal storm shelter.We have it in our heart and it is our spiritual food to live on, to keep our heart clean and organized.  I know though that for years I really didn't utilize it all the time.  It sat there in "my yard".  As I walked by it, mowed, lived around it, I became so used to it being there,  I didn't see it.  How thankful I am He made me aware of it without having to weather a major storm! 

David prayed - how is our prayer life?  How often do we really step down into our "storm shelter" and just pray?  Perhaps that is why He keeps waking us up in the middle of the night.  Our life is so busy now during the day - He knows that this time of morning is still.  Kinda like the calm before the storm - He is preparing us for the day ahead.

"Strengthened us with trust in our ABBA" for any storms that will come up. 

Not may - but will.










No comments: