Sunday, January 31, 2016

"His Reminders" - 01/31/16 - Exodus 4-6




 
 
“I am God. I will bring you out from under the cruel hard labor of Egypt. I will rescue you from slavery. I will redeem you, intervening with great acts of judgment. I’ll take you as my own people and I’ll be God to you. You’ll know that I am God, your God who brings you out from under the cruel hard labor of Egypt. I’ll bring you into the land that I promised to give Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and give it to you as your own country. I AM God.

"But when Moses delivered this message to the Israelites, they didn’t even hear him—they were that beaten down in spirit by the harsh slave conditions." (6:6-9)

Isn't it sad that we become so self absorbed - we miss Him in action.

 Thinking back on all the moments when I would pray - and pray - for a situation to become better - I missed the little moments because I was so wrapped up in self.  Self pity, my time, my way. 

Thinking about all the years these people, mentioned in these verses, went through before they saw the "end of the rainbow".  And as they did, I will complain, lose patience, because God has the audacity to do things His way, His time.  My focus isn't on Him - only on the present circumstances I am in.  Or I am so concentrated on the unfairness, mistreatment - that I am only looking backwards and miss the train going forward. 

How often do I miss out on what He is doing all around me.  That He is in the process of putting all the pieces - or persons - together for His glory.   His time is perfect for all of us.  His time is what works.  He isn't leaving anyone out, behind, or pushing them ahead before they are ready.  Only He knows everything that is going on. 




Much like being in a tornado and focusing on the destruction left behind, we miss the miracle when half a home is virtually untouched and the other half gone.  Or how a person is thrown about coming to land without a scratch. 





The Israelites were missing His promise of rescue - of their new life and new home - because they could only focus on self and their misery.  They allowed their situation to beat their spirit down. 

How often do I do that?  Forgetting the times He tells me, "I AM GOD".  The times my faith and trust are not in Him, but in myself.  The times I allow life, situations, and self talk keep me a slave? 

Whenever I think about all the sinful choices I have/do make, I am overwhelmed at how much I have/do fall short of being Christlike.  And in my self absorption, I don't focus on the fact that I am forgiven.  For all my sins - past, present, and future.  It is then satan will step in to try and put his foot upon my head.  Kick me when I am down. 

That is where we become a slave to living a life without Christ.  satan doesn't want us to believe our Christ has already delivered us from the slavery of sin. satan wants us to believe his lies.  To believe  we will never be taken to His promised land. 

I love then how His Living Word comes in and trumps over satan.  How His living Word leans down and picks me up.  How His Living Word reminds me of all the progress I have made in, with, and through Him. 

His Living Word reminds me of the miracle of half a home standing untouched. 

His Living Word changes my focus back to Him.

No comments: