Monday, February 01, 2016

"The Pharaoh" - 02/01/16 - Exodus 7-9







 
Pharaoh summoned Moses and Aaron. He said, “I’ve sinned for sure this time—God is in the right and I and my people are in the wrong. Pray to God. We’ve had enough of God’s thunder and hail. I’ll let you go. The sooner you’re out of here the better.   Moses said, “As soon as I’m out of the city, I’ll stretch out my arms to God. The thunder will stop and the hail end so you’ll know that the land is God’s land. Still, I know that you and your servants have no respect for God.”  (9:27-30)

Whenever I read of  Pharaoh, I always think about Steve Martin and his comedy routine of "King Tut".  Although we can smile or grin when watching the old videos, there isn't any humor in the account of the exchanges between Moses and Pharaoh.  God is all business when it comes to guarding those who are in Christ. His people. His Treasures.




 


Does it ever cease to amaze you how persons, who don't believe or haven't an intimate relationship with God, usually are bullies?  How they carry an air of entitlement, arrogance, and self righteousness about them? 





After all the plagues God  rained down on Pharaoh and The Egyptians through Moses and Aaron, Pharaoh wasn't intimidated at all.  It seemed more so that he was tired of the inconveniences. 
 
He "summoned" Moses and Aaron.  He tried to manipulate them with his confession of sinning.  Yet the next words uttered out of his mouth - they were an order.  He "told" them to go and "pray to God".  And then dictated to them words they were to say to their God.  His blindness to God and His power is so obvious - stating only then he  "would let them go."  As though he was in control.

My favorite part in all of this though is Moses. 
 
He walked so close to God, focused so totally on Him,  Pharaoh couldn't "pull the wool over his eyes".  He wasn't able to dupe Moses.  To Pharaoh it must have seemed like Moses was intimidated enough by him to do as ordered.  Moses made it clear he would do as ordered, but only for God's glory.  He was doing it so they would know it was God's land - that his God was in complete control.  Moses did it regardless to the disrespect they all held towards God.  He did it because he knew. 
 
He made this all about God.

As I am reading, I can hear my ABBA asking, "You have an intimate relationship with me, yet how often are you the "entitled, arrogant, self righteous bully"?  How often are you more concerned with making yourself look better, hiding your sins under the rug?  How often do you have the nerve to compare to others, when it is only Christ you need to be comparing yourself to and strive to be like.  Where did you ever get the idea your "prayers", words which are really dictating to me what to do, have any more power than Pharaoh?  Where and when did you decide that you are god?"
I am guilty as charged and still covered with His Grace and Mercy. 
 
Even prayers I lift up which seem to be good and pure.  Prayers for those I love, "Please keep them safe from harm".  What is the alternative if they aren't "my" safe?  There isn't any doubt, I know they  are totally safe and saved in Christ and will be Home when they die.  It is my selfishness wanting them here with me.  When praying "for others to know You intimately".  Am I waiting on His time, His way or thinking my time, my way is best?  Am I an encourager?  Gentle, loving and kind?  Or a bully?  A dictator? 
 
I am so thankful for The Holy Spirit.  Our Helper in all ways.  When we are in Christ, He actually lives within us.  The Creator of the World - living within us.  Wow.  Knock my socks off.
 
"In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words"(Romans 8:26)

It is so easy to see the speck in Pharaoh or others eye, and miss the board in my own.  To think I am above others, just because I have an intimate relationship with Him. 

Our Father loves all. 
ALL.

 As we are to love all.

 ALL.

When I think about my prayers - what are my words?  How is my heart when I am praying?  Am I completely submitting to His way?  His time?  Him? 

Do I pray like my Savior?  Making time each day to go before my Father, my Daddy, my Abba.  Away to an alone place, focused totally on Him.  Humbling myself, bearing my heart, soul, and mind totally to Him.  Submitting to His will.  Listening, hearing, and heeding His voice.
 
In my life, do I "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing,  give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."(I Thessalonians 5:16-18)

 Or am I emulating "The Pharaoh"?

No comments: