Saturday, January 24, 2015

"No Other" - 01/24/15 - Genesis 35-37

"So Jacob said to his household and to all who were with him, "Put away the foreign gods which are among you, and purify yourselves and change your garments; and let us arise and go up to Bethel, and I will make an altar there to God, who answered me in the day of my distress and has been with me wherever I have gone."  So they gave to Jacob all the foreign gods which they had and the rings which were in their ears, and

Jacob hid them

under the oak which was near Shechem."(35:2-4)

I smiled as I read today's verses regarding the foreign gods, or what I would call idols. 

Whenever I read these verses, I would wonder why Jacob didn't destroy the idols. 

Down deep inside, I knew why.  So he could go back and dig them up.  He wasn't ready to rid them completely from his life. 

Much like I have been and continue to fight the urge to bury instead of destroy. 

There are many things or people we make into an idol or foreign god - mine is food. 

I have used it as a comfort, stuffing god instead of why it was created.  Nourishment for my body. Through this revelation, ABBA is helping me to destroy this idol. 

 I have just weighed myself after six days on the Weighdown lifestyle change. Yes, my scales have dropped 5.3 lbs - which is encouraging - but that isn't the biggest change going on.

 It is my heart.

 Last night I was able to stop eating, continue sitting at the table and visit. I was also praying continually for ABBA to help me in this BIG step, to take away the urge to keep eating (which I could have so easily).

I am not saying this Weighdown will work for every one, but it is for me. I am at the point where I know I am eating not from hunger, but from trying to stuff emotions I don't want to deal with. I am also at the point where I am ready to get His Temple - my body - in shape for His glory.
 Not mine.
 Not the approval or adoration of others.
His.
Ready to be His slave - no more idols.




No comments: