Friday, March 23, 2012

03/23/12 - Follow His way


"you'll see clearly the route to take. You've never been on this road before." (Joshua 3:4)









Throughout Joshua 3:1-6:27 there are times God's instructions don't make sense to me. Here Joshua is told to have the people follow the ark from a distance of at least half of a mile. I would feel safer being closer. Have the priest carry the ark into the middle of the Jordon, a flooded Jordon, wait while 40,000 plus crossed over on dry land. No dawdling. (I wonder how long they stood and did they take turns holding the ark.) Build an alter on the opposite shore from 12 stones that came from where the priest stood. Make stone knives and circumcise all the men. Have a feast. Inquire from a man who suddenly appears before you and tells you to take off your sandals because you are on holy ground. Then march around this city once a day for six days. No talking. Only the blowing of ram's horns before starting out. On the seventh day, circle seven times and on the seventh shout! The walls will fall down. Destroy everything/everyone except a woman and those in her home (which is still standing amongst the ruins) and the metals.

Quite the plan. Some of these instructions seem so off the wall. And I know why He does what He does - "because God will work miracle-wonders among you." (Joshua 3:5) He has/does/will prevail.

Just as in my life, His ways seem totally against what I "think" should be the way to respond. When someone attacks me, I am told to love them, turn the other cheek, pray for them, give them more than what they request. When I come up against a "flood of water", He tells me to sanctify myself and step in. Can you imagine how the priest were feeling? All this water, carry an ark, and told to cross. I'd be looking for a boat or a shallow place to cross. And just as in life He has us cross where we feel is the worst place - only to provide us with "dry land".

He knows what is best for me - better than I do. He is taking care of me - guiding me - clearing the way - protecting me. All He has asked me to do is follow His lead.

"you'll see clearly the route to take. You've never been on this road before."

He's been down this route before - He created it! I never have been - I need to trust His way. His lead.

Even when it doesn't make sense.

No comments: