Wednesday, March 28, 2012

03/28/12 - Rolling in it

"The inheritance of Simeon came out of the share of Judah, because Judah's portion turned out to be more than they needed".(Joshua 19:8)

Often times when I think of inheritance, I think of wealth. I forget that in order to obtain it a death has to occur. That it includes not only property, titles, money, but also rights, obligations, and oftentimes debt. Everything that person had becomes yours if you are the heir. It can be a blessing, a burden and sometimes both. If numerous heirs, it can divide them.

Last night I was reading an article about the lottery. It's something like 340 million, third highest it has ever been. I also was reading about Bill Gates and how he has spent 1 million since last October on his 15 year old daughter. She is competing in the Winter Equestrian Festival. He is worth 64 billion.



There is a part of me that thinks it would be nice to have wealth like that. There are many things Curt and I have talked about that would be nice to do anonymously for people - organizations. Easter is coming up and it would be nice to fly Adam back for the weekend so we could all be together. I'd like to think we'd use it for God's glory and not become worldly. I don't know how it would change us. It would. I think about the kids and what they would experience - not just the good things, also the bad. How could you ever know who your true friends are? Some persons would not feel any boundaries as they came to ask for money. There would be such a loss of privacy.

And then too, I think of the inheritance I have received. One that surpasses all wealth - all worldly possessions- that gives me everything I need. My inheritance came at the cost of an innocent man's life. A man who gave up His life so I may live eternally with my Father.

This world will pass - as will all the millions and billions of dollars that are in it. I know that for some persons money is their god - their hope - their road to death. I do know I may not be able to fly our Adam in for the weekend. I may not have a million to spend on a sport. I may not have the million or billion in our bank account.

But, what I do know is because of my inheritance from my Savior - I have wealth beyond my dreams.

No comments: