Friday, March 30, 2012

Journey and sacrifices - (Joshua 22:1-24:33)

"Now, stay strong and steady....... Hold tight to God, your God, just as you've done up to now." (Joshua 23:6-8)

In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue.
In 1620 the Mayflower set sail.

Just two of many, many historical events that required people to "stay strong and steady".  All on the way to a new life, new dreams.  All these people wanted better for themselves and their families - generations to come.  So much and many were sacrificed for the dreams to become a reality.



God cleared the way for the Israelite's dream to become a reality.  His only request - "stay strong and steady - hold tight to Him".  And still that is all He wants - desires.

He wants to clear the way for me and mine.

I'm not one that likes surprises, suspense, the unknown.  I believe that goes back to a control issue.  Would I have left all to journey onward for the better?  Do I today?  Do I leave my comfort zone to journey into the world as a warrior for Him?

All through Joshua there were wars, destruction, killing and purifying.  I like to be on the other side - at peace.  My comfort zone. Yes, God wants me to enjoy the "fruits of the land", but not at the expense of souls.  It is so easy to settle in and be content at doing nothing except enjoy "the fruits of the land.   

And before you know it -  it is all about serving self.

I pray that the words of Joshua, the journeys many have made throughout the centuries, the sacrifices - I won't take them for granted.  That I will also sacrifice and journey onward for those ahead of me. 

What an honor and blessing to be part of His lineage.  Part of His army.  Part of His plan.

No comments: